Thursday, December 9, 2021

Petal Pusher

 

Petal Pusher
24" x 12" Oil and Copper Leaf on Cradleboard
Contemporary Floral
After many sessions in the studio, this painting is finished!  I started out prepping the cradleboard with a base coat of black acrylic.  The second step is to apply the copper leaf, with sizing.  A sealer was put on top of the copper leafing to protect it, and then I was able to finally start paint my flowers!  The surface of the cradleboard is hard and smooth (no tooth) and I had to build up the layers of paint, sometimes giving the piece a couple of days to set-up and dry.  Once I finished painting, I applied a final coat of varnish to protect the surface and give it a finished look.  

If you look closely, you can see tiny pieces of the black peaking through the copper leaf.  The brushstrokes can be seen if you look closely.  I started this painting with a reference photo taken by a friend, and made my own additions and deletions as I made my way through the painting.  This painting is in the studio drying.  Framing is optional...It is ready to hang on a wall.  I would love for it to have a forever home!  Thanks for looking, Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment