Sunday, March 14, 2021

Playing with a Limited Palette

 

Three florals, each 12" x 12" Oil on RayMar Cotton Panel
(I need to title them!)
Contemporary Floral Still Life
Here are three paintings with the same composition and subject matter, but each with a different color scheme on the limited palette.  Each limited palette consisted of three colors and white.  It's amazing what colors you can get with mixing three colors and white.  I learned a lot with this experiment, and pushed myself to paint with some colors that are not in my daily palette.  Clearly, the colors are harmonious in each painting.  If I had to pick the color palette that I am most comfortable with, it would be the third one, consisting of Alizarin, Ultramarine, Cad Yellow Med and Titanium.  

I would encourage anyone who paints to paint with a limited palette and discover what colors can be made with three colors.  It's amazing.  Thanks for looking at my blog.  Contact Kay with any questions or comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment