Saturday, August 23, 2014

Best Day

Best Day
16" x 20" Oil on RayMar Cotton Panel
My first full day back in the studio after the New Mexico trip was great!  I had a photo of a beautiful old cemetery in New Mexico along the High Road.  John and I had spent the day exploring and visiting sites off the main road.  John said that our day trip to the High Road was the best day, therefore I am naming this painting, Best Day.  My inspiration was this photo taken of this beautiful site at the top of a hill, across from a church.  While it is fresh in my mind and I really enjoyed this painting, I may need to tweak a couple of things....A highlight here, a low light there, so I will think about it for a couple of days and let it sit on my easel.

As you can see, the old stones, crosses and markers and all aged and different sizes and shapes....makes it great subject matter to paint!  I am not sure what the two buildings in the background were, but I elimated the one on the right in my painting.

I could not decide if I should put in the iron fences.  Maybe I will save that for the next painting.  I just didn't want to get fussy with this, and wanted to put on the canvas what I saw that day.  Thanks for looking at this blog.  Kay



No comments:

Post a Comment