Monday, January 6, 2014

Out On A Limb


Out On A Limb
12" x 36" Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas
Contemporary Bird Painting by Kay Wyne
Hot off my easel....below you can see the progression as I placed the birds and limbs with a rough painting.  I wanted to placement to allow the viewer's eye to roam around and go from bird to bird.  
Once I get the general placement of the subject matter on the canvas, I block in colors.  Using large brushes, I can cover lots of space quickly.
More color, not alot of details yet.  Layers and layers of oils go on....
More paint and more paint.  I wanted a colorful and painterly piece...more paint.
And More color...setting the eyes in the birds were some of the last touches.  More layers especially in the nest, but trying to stay loose with my strokes.
Thanks for looking at the art posted here....more painting tomorrow.  It is fun to go into the studio and paint whatever I am in the mood to paint!  These songbirds were colorful and something different for me.  There might be more bird paintings for the 30 Paintings/30 Days!  Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment