Monday, November 9, 2020

Country Church

 

Country Church
10" x 10" Oil on RayMar Cotton Panel
Contemporary Oil Painting
Photo Credit:  Jay Garrison
Majorville Illinois (in Hancock County) is the location, and the photo that I used as inspiration was taken in 1976.  I believe this was a Methodist Church with a cemetery on the property.  I wanted to capture the weathered look of the church, the simplicity of the entrance.  The black and white photo caught a few of the headstones in the cemetery and the grass and bushes seemed to be over-grown.  I used a palette knife and brush with my oils to put this old country church on canvas.  
Here is the reference photo depicting a cold dreary fall day in the midwest.

I believe that the church is no longer standing, but the historical cemetery is still there along with the red brick entrance pillars.  Thanks to Jay for taking the photo.  Contact Kay for more info on this painting.  Thanks for looking at my blog.  KMW

No comments:

Post a Comment