Monday, October 5, 2009

Two Plus One

Two Plus One
Today’s painting is a 8” x 8” gallery wrap canvas. Oil of course. The title of the piece is “Two Plus One” and I painted it last Sunday. I was at the studio and was looking for something to paint, and looked in the refrigerator, and found two pears and two apples. I fooled around with them, working on a still life, and finally got a good pose for two pears and one apple. I always like using odd numbers…in groupings and collections. So, I painted away. I went into the studio on Monday, and needed to change something about one of the pears. I wasn’t sure what it was, so I went looking for the pears. Gone. I asked Sharon, who has originally purchased the fruit where MY pears were. She said that she had gotten hungry and ate them. So, I asked her what was wrong with my pear, we talked about it, and I made a few stroke adjustments, and signed the painting.

I should of painted the painting alla prima. If this term is new to you, alla prima painting would be started and finished in one painting session, but the term is also more loosely applied to any painting done in a direct, expressive style, with minimal preparation. Alla prima comes from Italian, literally meaning "at once". The French term is premier coup. Famous painters who worked in an alla prima style are as diverse as Paul Cezanne, John Singer Sargent, Mary Cassatt, Winslow Homer, Caravaggio, Hieronymus Bosch, and Frans Hals.

I hope to go to the studio today and paint alla prima. We’ll see how it goes. Have an artful day! Thanks for viewing my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment