Sunday, August 20, 2017

Rise & Shine by Kay Wyne

Rise & Shine
48" x 60" Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas
Contemporary Cacti Series
Lots of Prickly Pears, blooms, and needles cover the canvas.  I started with tinting the canvas with transparent yellow oxide.  Here are a few pics of the painting along the way.
I drew some shapes in with charcoal, and immediately started putting the background in.  I used violets, blues and diox.
The shapes are very rough and abstract, and here I flipped the canvas upside down to work on it.  Several times during the painting process I will turn the canvas on it's side or upside down.
I put several layers of color in, working on getting my values.  I need to get my darkest darks in right away...or I will never get them in.  I was careful to use transparent oils and medium in the beginning stages of the painting
I continue to layer the paint, using a big wide brush and palette knife.  I did pull out a small filbert and put some lines in the add interest and shapes.  I also started putting some spiney  edges and blotches on the pads.
I deleted some of the flowers and in the end, put in the flower that is the focal point of the painting.  I put some flowering petals in with some opaque cool colors, then a few with warm golden shades.  That makes it pop!  The last step in the painting is to put in the needles...that was so much fun, but once I put them in I could to go back into the painting and change anything or it would become muddy.   Rise & Shine is drying at the studio, and will get a coat of varnish---and then it will be available for purchase.  Contact Kay Wyne for more information on this colorful and dynamic painting!  KMW 


No comments:

Post a Comment