Thursday, June 22, 2017

Flower Power by Kay Wyne


Flower Power
36" x 36" Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas
Contemporary Floral Painting
A visit to the Dallas Arboretum gave me all the inspiration I needed for this canvas.  I decided that I needed to tone my canvas with a diluted Permanent Rose, then I was ready to start drawing on the canvas.  I used raw umber, olive green and violet to place the flowers and lay-out my road map.

I started with my transparent oils and put a couple of layers on, getting my dioxazine violet,  magenta, olive green, and permanent rose.  The background fades and is somewhat out of focus to create some distance on the canvas.  I mixed up about six different piles of greens, starting with sap, olive, and adding cad yellow and ice blue to get a good range of shades.  I put in the jonquils last because they were opaque, and I did not want to mix my transparent and opaques.  I hope that the viewer has a sense of the beauty and powerful color that I witnessed at the Arboretum.

Thanks for looking at this blog...contact Kay Wyne for more information on this painting - it is available for purchase at Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas, Texas.  Kay Wyne

No comments:

Post a Comment